Individual Participation - Single Singers
The World Choir Games is a wonderful event for choirs of all types to take part in, while offering a host of exciting ceremonies, concerts and competition sessions for the public to attend. But what can you do if you’re not currently in a choir or yours hasn’t registered for the Games, and yet you crave a little more involvement than just sitting in the audience?
We have a solution! Although Games registration caters for choirs and not individuals, one activity that ‘unattached’ singers can potentially take part in is the massed Festival Stage Choir, which rehearses during the second Part (week) of the Games and performs with the Auckland Philharmonia at the Closing Ceremony.
Therefore, we invite singers (or conductors) from New Zealand and Australia* not coming to the Games with their own group to join an ad hoc choir, the aptly named ‘Single Singers’ to sing as part of the Festival Stage Choir.
You will need to organise your own return travel to Auckland, airport transfers, accommodation and local transport. You will be charged a fee of NZ$175, covering the equivalent of the per person Participant Fee, your share of the Choir Activity Fee and a small amount for administration.
What it involves :
- Being in Auckland for Part Two of the Games from at least Tue 16 to Sun 21 July 2024 (5 nights)
- Attending the four Festival Stage Choir rehearsals (two with orchestra) between Wed 17 and Sat 20 July
- Performing with the Festival Stage Choir in a 30-minute segment with the Auckland Philharmonia as part of the Closing Ceremony on the evening of Sat 20 July
Other benefits include :
- The opportunity to walk in the Parade of Nations on Tue 16 July
- Free entry to all competition categories at various central-city venues (availability permitting)
- Free attendance to all Friendship Concerts in the central city and surrounding suburbs
- The opportunity to book tickets (ahead of the public) for a range of workshops
- The opportunity to buy discounted tickets to all Celebration and Special Concerts
Things to note :
- There is no audition, just an expectation that music will be learnt prior to the first rehearsal
- There is no uniform but a dress code for singers will be published in due course
- Singers are of course also welcome to attend Part One of the Games as an audience member
- For avoidance of confusion, the Single Singers is not a real choir and thus cannot register for any other Games activity or perform in a Friendship Concert
- No more than 50% of the usual membership of your choir or ensemble may take up this offer.
- *Australians wanting to take up this offer must be members of ANCA, as individuals or through a choir
NZ$175 per person
How do I sign up?
WCG2024 Choir Co-ordinator Cathryn Wyllie will update you regularly with further details, including information about schedule, venues, music, dress, etc. If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or on mobile at +64 (0)21 977905.